Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Long Time Coming, Long Time Gone

It has been many months since I last posted on this blog. Work is running me over, as it is with most people who I know. To update you - the work at St Jude's has been tied up, and completed. My colleague and I made a trip to the school to work with new staff in November of last year, and with one final visit in April, we are finished.

The school has made great progress, doubling the school sites, doubling the teachers, and really building lots of capacity on the ground to support teacher practice and student learning. They are attracting very well-qualified teachers, given that the kind of support and opportunity they are offering teachers is unprecedented in the area, and the good work of the school has made it the place to teach. They have transitioned into a full local faculty, and so have westerners on site only to manage the larger efforts of the schools, and to support ongoing teacher development.

I myself am currently back in the US, and working with the Striving Readers project to support teacher training in integrated adolescent literacy. Very busy, and seeing lots of progress from teachers on this side of the pond as well.

Hoping to be back in Tanzania for both holiday and work in the coming year, and always looking for ways I can be of help in the exciting developments taking place in East Africa in general with teacher training and professional development.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home