Sunday, August 26, 2007

Back Again, Home Again?

I arrived back at St Jude's yesterday, and it feels somewhat like coming home. Saw old friends and met some new one's, went through 30 boxes of books shipped to us here for distribution to different content departments (thanks to Paul Weinland!), and went for dinner down the road with Freda. Each time I visit, I always wonder if it will still feel the same, like a place I fit and should be, and each time, it takes about ten minutes for me to get my bearings and settle in.

Saw the little kitten Sausage today, all grown up and mentoring a new smaller cat that showed up recently, again old friends and new. Many western volunteers and local teachers have come and gone in the (close to) year I have been coming to St Judes, but the school itself is the same old familiar place (with little added details, such as the new paving and drainage system they have installed).

Hoping to visit the site of the new school in the coming weeks to see the progress that is being made for the January opening of the new campus. I hear tell that there are three-story buildings where a field sat the last time I was here. Starting work tomorrow with a week of observation and formal data collection focused on measuring the current status of teacher instructional approaches, should be very interesting and informative, as it will guide the rest of the work I do on this trip. More later.




Photo - teachers working together, a common occurrance around here these days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home