Friday, November 24, 2006

Tough Day, Pupil Selection


Beginning in January, the School of St Jude is taking in an additional 150 pupils (thanks to the purchase of new land and building of a new school wing). In preparation for the new term, the school conducts pupil selection sessions every Friday.

Today was the final Friday for pupil selection, so while the numbers today were relatively small - they can have up to 1000 pupils show up on a Friday afternoon for selection - this was the day that all remaining children who had not previously been able to make it through the selection process showed up for one last shot at admittance. And, keep in mind, admittance means everything to these children and their families - a paid education in a progressive school, meals, books, supplies, and uniforms paid for - and a staff that will do just about anything for a St Jude's child who needs help.

Today, I was asked to participate in selecting pupils, and conducted the reading test with pupils who would be in Standards 1 and 2 in the coming year. Selection begins with the lineup, where pupils are arranged by how old they say they are and by height. Then the taller pupils, who experience shows are likely to be lying about their age, are sent home.

Then pupils are brought into the school campus, where they line up again for a reading assessment. The assessment is comprised of reading 1 or 2 simple sentences from a primary reader (kind of like a Dick and Jane book). Those pupils who are able to read well are moved on to where they take a written exam.

Those pupils who are not able to read well are sent to the gate and asked to go home. Today, I sent many children home, most of these pictured here with my colleague Freda.

But some children made it through both the reading and written test, and were asked to return tomorrow with their school records, where they will work to pass through another obstacle to becoming pupils at the school of St. Jude. In the end about five out of two hundred will make it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catching up today on several days there. Understanding what it must mean for children there to be able to attend school at St. Jude's is very powerful. After just one week, reading the comments and seeing the pictures, it amazes me that you and Freda seem so "in place" - it must have been meant to be! Have a great Safari.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is wonderful!! I would love to be there working with these kiddoes. Where is the list of things they need? Have someone take a picture of you working with the kids. Is it hot there now? I hate it that more of the children who line up to apply don't get in. Bet you do too. Keep writing. Love, Mom

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Amy, you are such a great photographer! I love the pictures you post. I have to admit, like some of my students, I look at the pictures, then I read your entries. :) Freda keeps her cadre of literacy coaches updated with emails, which I aprreciate, and help me to see how slow my work is in my school. I feel so ineffective when I look at the amount work I've done, and the amount you two are doing. You inspire me to work harder and faster to make a difference for students.

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have to be a teacher to come there and be of help in the school? We have future plans of traveling to do some mission work and St Jude seems like a great place someone could have a direct impact to the community.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How often do you see wild animals (lions, tigers,etc.) what are the chances of them walking onto the school campus? Help me out with my wild imagination. Oh.. the kids are so sweet. I know it was heart breaking to turn down/send them back to the gates.

Callie
Miss you but would not want you to miss out on this opportunity. Wish it was me. Tell Freda I said hi

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I hope you had another great day. I know you must be busy and probably getting a little tired, but what an incredible opportunity! I get more jealous everyday. I can easily see myself teaching at St. Judes in a few years. Not sure I could handle the poverty... I would love to meet the head teacher; he looks like a very strong personality.
I can only imagine how ... it must have been to turn those kids away. As I read your entry and then thought more about the kids who had to be turned away, I saw my children in that group, WOW! I hope you can feel our support from Louisville. We are all behind you, we all wish we could be there, but we are ALL glad that you are there because we know you are the right person for the job!

Roland

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home