Sunday, November 19, 2006

Arriving


Today, on my first full day in Tanzania, I spent the day getting oriented to the campus, and then took a ride to a local crafts fair with some folks from the school.

At first glance, Tanzania is an interesting mix of contradictions - unbelievable beauty and crushing hardship side by side - kindness and easy smiles next to a strong competitiveness for western patrons and dollars. Clearly a country where individuals are struggling to have a twenty-first century life, and at the same time just trying to make ends meet with few resources.

I have met some wonderful people already, each of whom has a unique story about where they are from, the life experience they have had, and how they ended up here at the School of St. Jude.

I came across this plant this morning during a walk around the school campus that summed up my early impressions of Tanzania very nicely - a beautiful flower with plenty of thorns.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy -- this is an amazing site, and I loved the image of the flower. I enjoyed the rest of the "historical" content on the site too. I will check on youall every couple of days, and think of you both even more often --Linda

9:24 PM  
Blogger rlodan01 said...

Amy, It was good to talk with you yesterday. I hope your lessons went well. I can only imagine the poverty, it makes that minimalistic approach to life sound interesting. Have a great day, and I look forward to chatting some time soon. Is Skype 2 cents/minute computer to computer?

Roland

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy --

So glad to hear ("read") that you arrived safely and that you're out exploring. I am so glad you've created this blog so that we can all see Africa through your eyes. Thanks for sharing this experience with us ...

Brandie

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home