Monday, November 20, 2006

Who Invented the Wheel?


Today, I spent the day working with Standard 2 classes (7 to 9 years old, and the equivalent of about grade 2.5). I taught a lesson on verbal fluency, working with think aloud, paired verbal fluency, choral reading, and readers' theatre in combination.

I also spend much of the day observing in Standard 2 science classes, and saw some very wonderful exploration going on. Students modeling the workings of the solar system, and others creating models of simple and complex machines. In one classroom I met a young man who asked the most important questions I had heard in a long time. There were two: Who is the man who invented the wheel, and how did he think of it? - and - Where did magnetism come from? Very curious and very intent on knowing the answer to these and all other questions. At the end of the day, he found me on the playground and asked if I remembered him from science class. Of course I thought, how could I forget?

His name is Godlove and the picture here shows him with two friends on the playground (Godlove is center).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy: It sounds like the school has a good idea of how to engage students in authentic learning and uses inquiry in science to build knowledge. Very exciting.

Thanks for being so faithful in keeping this up on a daily basis.

I won't be in again until Dec. 1 but will try to access this link while I'm on the road.

Best to you and Freda,
Deborah

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture of this young man. You can see the inquisitiveness in his eyes!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a bright young man! Did you answer his questions because I too want to know who invented the wheel?
Greg

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home